< Back to Schedule
There are two types of people in this world. The ones that see what you can do with web authoring, and say "Wow! This stuff is amazing! It is so simple to use, anyone can make reports, publish them on server and share with everyone, and even subscribe to it! Unbelievable!" And then there are Tableau Server admins who say "Are you kidding?? Anyone can do this? They can load up my server with content, scatter stuff everywhere, and eat up my resources with ridiculous subscriptions and visualizations. No way am I going to let anyone do this!"
At Sprint we have over 20,000 views on our server and over 60% of them were created via Web Authoring. In this session I will be going over how we allow the masses access to all the free vizzing madness they want, but keep the server performance in check.
• Permissions – how to keep the Web Authoring content separate from the seasoned Desktop created content.
• Content Purging – web authoring is a lot of trial and error and very few delete old versions.
• Subscription Monitoring – If someone makes a Web Authoring Viz subscribe to it, it sometime can be a resource hog. How to identify it.
• Usage tracking – Using Postgres to see if they are web authoring to just export the data to Excel? Seriously, why??
• Viz Performance Monitoring – After you find the bad workbooks and authors, use performance monitoring to fix the problem.